Dr. Slootsky has spent the past 35 years treating TMJ pain att Restorative and Implant Dentistry in Pompano Beach, FL. We have the experience and knowledge needed to help you get past the pain and difficulties that come with TMJ disorders. With a variety of effective treatments to help you feel relief, Restorative and Implant Dentistry can get you back to living without jaw pain. Call our office at 954-590-0538 to schedule your appointment.
Is it TMJ or TMD?
Many people are suffering from TMJ disorder but don’t even know it. The term TMJ actually refers to the temporomandibular joint (the joint where your jaw connects to your skull). The term TMJ is often used incorrectly to describe a TMJ disorder, or TMD. So, when people are talking about suffering from TMJ, what they are actually describing is a TMJ disorder.
What Causes TMJ Disorders?
Here is where everything gets a bit tricky. We still don’t know exactly what causes TMJ disorders. We do know what contributes to the development of a TMJ disorder, however. Here are some of the contributing factors:
Trauma to the Joint – Any type of injury to the TMJ or the area around the TMJ can lead to a TMJ disorder. If you experience trauma to your TMJ, you should have it checked out by Dr. Slootsky.
Grinding Your Teeth – Chewing food puts a tremendous amount of strain on the jaw joint, but it is built to handle that kind of stress. What it is not built for is the strain and pressure that comes from constantly grinding your teeth. Grinding your teeth is unique as it can be a symptom of TMJ disorder as well. It puts you at risk of chipping and damaging your teeth.
Stress – The TMJ is a hard working yet delicate joint. Any time you are under increased stress, you may begin to develop issues with your joint. Talk to Dr. Slootsky today about ways you can find relief from your stress-related TMJ problems.
Arthritis – Arthritis is inflammation within joints, so it’s no surprise that arthritis can contribute to issues with your TMJ.
Movement of the Cushion in the Jaw Joint – The TMJ is a ball-and-socket joint like your hip. Inside the joint is a cushion. If that protective cushion moves at all, the bone could rub together. This spells nothing but trouble for your jaw. That bone-on-bone contact is going to cause you a lot of pain, but Dr. Slootsky can help you.
TMJ Disorder Symptoms
The symptom that prompts most of our patients to seek treatment is pain, but there are several other symptoms associated with TMJ disorders that can be very troubling.
- Issues Opening Your Mouth Wide
- Lockjaw (Open or Shut)
- Clicking Sound in the Joint
- Face “Feels” Tired
- Trouble Chewing Your Food
- Swelling in the Joint
How Can Dr. Slootsky Help My TMJ Pain?
Restorative and Implant Dentistry offers a number of treatments to help take the strain off the injured joint to allow it to heal.
- Cranial-Sacral Therapy – This massage technique focuses on the muscles in your jaw, face, and the V-shaped area in the small of your back. You will feel the pain relief fast.
- Muscle Release Therapy – This noninvasive approach releases the tension in the muscles that control and support your TMJ.
- Bite Appliance – One thing that can really help your TMJ recover is a custom bite appliance from Dr. Slootsky. Much like a cast takes the pressure off a broken bone to let it heal, the bite appliance takes pressure off your TMJ and allows whatever problem that is causing your pain to heal naturally. The difference is that you can take the oral appliance out when you are awake.
Get the TMJ help you need to live pain-free. Call Restorative and Implant Dentistry at 954-590-0538 today to schedule your consultation.